Monday, February 13, 2012

Photo Challenge | Hearts

I Heart Faces Photo Challenge - Favorite



Photo Challenge Submission


This photo was submitted to the I Heart Faces photo challenge – www.iheartfaces.com

My picture for this week’s theme "hearts" involves a real heart.  See the scar on his heart?  My sweet nephew JD was born with a congenital heart defect, transposition of the great arteries.  He was born with a broken heart. He went through 2 surgeries, one within an hour of being born and an open heart surgery 5 days later to fix his heart.  This week also happens to be Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week! CHDs are the #1 birth defect, affecting nearly one out of every 100 births.  I was unaware of how common babies are born with broke hearts.  I am happy to report that today baby JD at 5 months old, is doing great and should not need any more heart surgeries.  From now on, when I hear “heart”, I will always be reminded of how grateful I am to have my sweet nephew with a new “fixed heart”.

10 comments:

  1. Love this photo! My little guy also had open heart surgery for a congenital heart defect 7 years ago, the photo took me back to those very difficult times. At the same time, it makes me smile seeing the blessing of another baby saved by amazing physicians and nurses who dedicate their lives to helping others. JD is beautiful, as is your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the perfect choice for this theme! What an amazing story and I am so glad to hear your nephew is doing so well. He is a handsome little fellow, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A little miracle...love the story and this image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a miracle.....great image and so glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful baby, so glad they were able to fix his broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So precious! Such a big thing to go through at a young age!
    Beautiful image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless his little heart. I am so glad to hear he is doing well. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so beautiful and so is this picture! I'm so glad you entered and commented on my post :-) thanks for spreading awareness!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing story and photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An emotional story, but most importantly, a success story. A wonderful success story of a baby who will get to experience childhood and grow up to be a man, likely someone's husband, probably someone's father. So happy your nephew will get to experience life and play his part, no matter what that may be, in our world. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete